I have 18,729 songs in my ITunes but have other good songs on vinyl that have still not been digitized.
May have been more musicals if I did have the LPs in there … The Alfred Molina Fiddler on the Roof is not good enough to have songs in the top 100.
I was inspired to do this post by Time magazines list of the top 100 songs since Time came out in 1923 .. There are some songs shared, my guess is 20-25. http://entertainment.time.com/2011/10/24/the-all-time-100-songs/#tightrope-janelle-monae-featuring-big-boi
In order of when I added to the playlist on ITunes : (Title, Band, Album)
1. Lithium Nirvana Nevermind
I’m so happy, because today I’ve found my friends .. there in my head. I identify with that.
2. Rainbow Connection The Muppets The Muppet Show: Music, Mayhem and More! The 25th Anniversary Collection
Why are there so many songs about rainbows .. Just a gorgeous song.
3. Black Betty Ram Jam The Very Best of Ram Jam
Lots of solos, very 70s, tons of fun.
4. The Seed (2.0) The Roots Phrenology
Worked with Cody ChesnuTT who wrote and sings in this song. Just full of funky.
5. South Side Moby Play
Great piece of electronica, fun.
6. Bewitched, Bothered, And Bewildered Ella Fitzgerald The Best Of The Songbooks [Disc 1]
Amazing jazz song, beautiful.
7. Satisfied Mind Johnny Cash American VI: Ain’t No Grave
A great reminder that it’s important to be satisfied in life. A hard thing for us to remember in this striving world.
8. Creep Radiohead Pablo Honey
We all wish we were special, so f**king special. One of the Generation X anthems of our very self-aware, self-loathing generation.
9. Oh, Lady, Be Good Ella Fitzgerald Ultimate Ella Fitzgerald
We all have tales of woe.
10. Chelsea Hotel No. 2 Leonard Cohen The Best Of
One of the great songs from the prince of darkness, those were the reasons and that was New York …
11. 99 Luftballons Nena 99 Luftballons
Awesome 80s pop song, has to be in German, the American version (99 Red Ballons) frankly sucks
12. Scarborough Fair/Canticle Simon & Garfunkel The Essential Simon & Garfunkel
Gorgeous vocal piece, surprised I don’t hear it more at acapella.
13. Because I Got High Afroman The Good Times
Fun, insane, jokey song .. Found out about it from “Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back”
14. No Sleep Till Brooklyn The Beastie Boys Licensed To Ill
15. Ding Dong Song (XL Version) Gunther & the Sunshine Girls & The Sunshine Girls Ding Dong Song – EP
Insanely fun, eurotrashy song. First heard about it as a joke mention on SG.
16. Ruby Tuesday The Rolling Stones Hot Rocks, 1964-1971 (Disc 1)
Gorgeous, symphonic rock song. Just lovely.
17. Devil’s Haircut Beck Odelay
Awesome upbeat song, from Beck’s funkiest album.
18. Can’t Help But Wonder Where I’m Bound Johnny Cash American VI: Ain’t No Grave
Johnny Cash looking at mortality.
19. Jesus Walks Kanye West The College Dropout
Kanye West being honest about the importance of Jesus in his life. Gorgeous rap song, would love to see more rappers be honest about the importance of religion in their lives.
20. Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat Bob Dylan Blonde On Blonde
Bob Dylan just having fun.
21. Blind Willie McTell Bob Dylan Bob Dylan Blues
Bob Dylan paying tribute to his love of the blues.
22. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road Elton John RS 500
A song that compulsively makes you want to sing along.
23. The Only Living Boy In New York Simon & Garfunkel The Essential Simon & Garfunkel [Disc 2]
Hard song to describe, I think it’s about becoming an adult. Beautiful.
24. West End Girls Pet Shop Boys Discography: The Complete Singles Collection
Great 80s pop, infectious.
25. Just Like A Woman Bob Dylan Blonde On Blonde
A song about being vulnerable. Lovely.
26. Coyotes Richard Thompson Grizzly Man (Soundtrack from the Motion Picture)
This song is just evocative of the wilderness to me. From a gorgeous movie about an insane man. To me very meditative.
27. I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For U2 The Joshua Tree
Because none of us have ..
28. God Bless The Child Billie Holiday Billie Holiday’s Greatest Hits
29. Let It Be (Long Version) Carol Woods & Timothy T. Mitchum Across the Universe (Music from the Motion Picture) [Deluxe Edition]
Turning Let It Be into a gospel song, genius.
30. Georgia On My Mind Ray Charles Stand By Me 22 Original Soul Hits
Beautiful. Happy I got to see Ray Charles live twice in my life.
31. You Can’t Always Get What You Want The Rolling Stones Hot Rocks, 1964-1971 (Disc 2)
Another Symphonic Rolling Stones song … We won’t always get what we want in this life, and that’s ok.
32. Minnie The Moocher Cab Calloway Jazz Greats 1
33. Lovefool The Cardigans First Band On The Moon
Love me, love me say that you love me .. fool me, fool me .. Superb pop.
34. Over The Rainbow Herbert Stothart The Wizard Of Oz
We all need our dreams.
35. Mahna Mahna/Lullaby of Birdland The Muppets The Muppet Show: Music, Mayhem and More! The 25th Anniversary Collection
And to be silly.
36. Make Them Hear You Three Mo’ Tenors Three Mo’ Tenors
Awesome song by 3 black tenors about the importance of using your voice.
37. F**k the Pain Away Peaches The Teaches of Peaches
Electronica at it’s best, and of being your own sexual being.
38. Rock Lobster The B-52’s Nude on the Moon – The B-52’s Anthology
Fun, fun, fun
39. Why Does My Heart Feel So Bad? Moby Play
To me a little prayer with electronica.
40. Hallelujah Rufus Wainwright The L Word Soundtrack
My favorite version of one of my favorite songs of all time. Also love the Leonard Cohen, Jeff Buckley and Justin Timberlake
41. A Little Less Conversation (JXL Radio Edit Remix) Elvis Presley Elvis 30 #1 Hits
Just an amazing remix, makes a fun song even more fun.
42. Bittersweet Symphony The Verve Urban Hymns
The Rolling Stones have enough money, The Verve should have gotten more money for one of the best songs of the last 20 years.
43. Mannish Boy Muddy Waters His Best: 1947 To 1955
If you don’t like this you don’t like the blues.
44. Bein’ Green The Muppets The Muppet Show: Music, Mayhem and More! The 25th Anniversary Collection
Kermit the Frog has a heartbreaking voice.
45. Heroin The Velvet Underground The Best Of The Velvet Underground
As close as I ever want to come to this nasty drug which has ruined so many amazing artists.
46. Ballad Of A Thin Man Bob Dylan Highway 61 Revisited
Sometimes we all feel like Mr. Jones ..
47. Another New York Afternoon Christine Lavin Getting In Touch With My Inner Bitch
Amazing folk singer especially live .. Hits a certain truth about NYC on this song.
48. Time After Time Cyndi Lauper She’s So Unusual
A song of the value of friendship.
49. A*s-n-T*****s DJ Assault Mr. Muthafucker – EP
Fun party song .. freaking blast.
50. In Heaven (Explicit) Fatboy Slim You’ve Come A Long Way Baby [Explicit]
Fatboy Slim .. is ****ing in heaven … I don’t usually do this.
51. Killing Me Softly The Fugees The Score
I really, really wish The Fugees could have made more albums, amazing.
52. If You Want Me Glen Hansard & Markéta Irglová Once
Love through music, gorgeous.
53. Paradise By The Dashboard Light Meat Loaf Bat Out of Hell
Incredibly fun song, makes me think of high school dances, in a good way.
54. All Blues Miles Davis Kind Of Blue
Jazz really does get this good.
55. When Doves Cry Prince And The Revolution Purple Rain
Doves simply cry funkier then any other animal.
56. Karma Police Radiohead OK Computer
Arrest this man he talks in verse, fun lyric for a poet.
57. Loser Beck Mellow Gold
Soy, en perido .. I’m a loser baby … One of the songs I think Generation X identifies the most .. with “Creep.”
58. Smells Like Teen Spirit Nirvana Nevermind
One of the most infectious openings in rock history. We miss you Kurt.
59. Like A Rolling Stone Bob Dylan Highway 61 Revisited
How does it feel, how does it feel, to be without a home .. like a complete unknown .. like a rolling stone … We all feel apart sometimes.
60. The Salmon Dance [Explicit] The Chemical Brothers We Are The Night [Explicit]
A song I actually bought off Pandora on my phone .. so, so much fun and an awesome and silly video.
61. The Internet Is For Porn Original Broadway Cast Avenue Q
No reason Broadway can’t talk about being young, and a muppet. Avenue Q hits being in your 20s as well as anything. And incredibly fun song.
62. Let’s Go Crazy Prince And The Revolution Purple Rain
You can always see the sun day or night … It’s important to just go crazy sometimes.
63. Bridge Over Troubled Water Simon & Garfunkel The Essential Simon & Garfunkel [Disc 2]
Simon and Garfunkel was my mom’s favorite band. Got to see Paul Simon twice, once in Central Park once in Holmdel, NJ. Amazing vocal performance.
64. Wipeout The Surfaris The Wonder Years “Good Times, Good Friends” (Disc 2)
Love surf guitar, I feel the ocean on this song.
65. C’mon C’mon The Von Bondies C’mon, C’mon – EP
Rescue Me theme song … Just a fun, fast song
66. Somewhere Over The Rainbow/What A Wonderful World Israel “IZ” Kamakawiwo’ole Facing Future
One of the songs that brought the Ukelele back, just gorgeous.
67. Man In The Mirror Michael Jackson History (Disc 1)
Going to make a change, for once in my life ….
68. 1979 Smashing Pumpkins Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
I love the beat on this song.
69. Baby Got Back Sir Mix-A-Lot Hip Hop
Let’s face it curves are awesome, as is the beat to this song.
70. Rock Island Line Johnny Cash The Sun Years [Rhino]
Johnny Cash was amazing .. it’s hard to sing this fast. Really sounds like a railroad.
71. Walk On The Wild Side Lou Reed Transformer
We all need to come out as the freaks we are.
72. The End The Doors The Doors
The Doors were my favorite band in high school.
73. Miss Otis Regrets Ella Fitzgerald The Best Of The Songbooks [Disc 1]
Makes me think of a friend… And an incredibly dark song, but lovely.
74. No Woman, No Cry The Fugees The Score
It’s hard to outdo Bob Marley.
75. Rainy Day Women #12 & 35 Bob Dylan Blonde On Blonde
It’s a bizarre life we live.
76. How To Disappear Completely Radiohead Kid A (Collector’s Edition)
Because we all sometimes have bad days where we need to hide.
77. America Simon & Garfunkel The Essential Simon & Garfunkel [Disc 2]
It’s a vast country.
78. Symphony No. 5 in C Minor, Op. 67, “Fate”: Allegro con brio London Philharmonic Orchestra & David Parry The 50 Greatest Pieces of Classical Music
Classical music does get this good.
79. Overture 1812 Various Artists, Hungarian State Orchestra, Adam Fischer 99 Must-Have Power Classics: The Planets & Other Masterpieces
Have multiple versions of this on vinyl. Just fantastic.
80. The Valkyrie: Ride Of The Valkyries London Philharmonic Orchestra & David Parry The 99 Darkest Pieces Of Classical Music
Wagner can be a heck of a lot of fun.
81. Peer Gynt Suite No. 1, Op. 46: In the Hall of the Mountain King London Philharmonic Orchestra & David Parry The 50 Greatest Pieces of Classical Music
Just makes me think of the elephants dancing in Fantasia.
82. No! They Might Be Giants No!
From one of the children’s albums of They Might Be Giants .. just a fun, silly song .. no means no .. no is always no …
83. Devil Town Daniel Johnston Welcome To My World
One of the most insanely coverable songs ever, would probably have the version from “Friday Night Lights” on here if could buy as a single.
84. Seven Nation Army The White Stripes Elephant
Just an insanely great beat
85. Epic Faith No More This Is It – The Best of Faith No More
What is it .. and say .. what is it.
86. Under the Bridge Red Hot Chili Peppers Red Hot Chili Peppers: Greatest Hits
Sometimes we just feel alone .. and that’s ok
87. Dancing With Myself Billy Idol With Generation X 1980s Dance
It’s important to dance like idiots.
88. I Don’t Like Mondays The Boomtown Rats Best of the Boomtown Rats
Almost wish I didn’t know the true story …
89. Mahna Mahna Cake For the Kids
Amazingly awesome cover, makes a fun, funky song even funkier.
90. Layla Derek & The Dominos 20th Century Masters – The Millennium Collection: The Best of Eric Clapton
The 2nd half is the “Goodfellas” theme song .. and is enough to get it in the top 100 for me.
91. Rock Me Amadeus Falco 1980s Dance
More wonderful dopey 80s music.
92. The Rockafeller Skank [Explicit] Fatboy Slim You’ve Come A Long Way Baby [Explicit]
Song that makes you need to dance.
93. Praise You [Explicit] Fatboy Slim You’ve Come A Long Way Baby [Explicit]
It’s important to praise those we love.
94. I Will Survive Gloria Gaynor Beyond The Blues
Probably my favorite disco song, just gets my inner diva out.
95. Falling Slowly Glen Hansard & Markéta Irglová Once
Song makes me almost instantly tear up .. I don’t know you, but I want you all the more for that .. A song of longing.
96. Hurt Johnny Cash 2005-The Legend of Johnny Cash
Johnny Cash brought a great song to a whole new level. Can hear his experience and tough life in this song. Beautiful.
97. Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald Gordon Lightfoot Gord’s Gold, Vol. 2
Folk songs can be beautiful.
98. Imagine John Lennon The John Lennon Collection
We need to live in a more just world. We miss you John.
99. Billie Jean Michael Jackson History (Disc 1)
There is a reason the death of Michael Jackson hurt so much.
100. Sunday Bloody Sunday Saul Williams The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of NiggyTardust!
A U2 song I loved, made even more real and direct with the great slam poet/hip-hop artist Saul Williams.
Artist count (multiples):
Bob Dylan 6
Johnny Cash 4
Simon & Garfunkel 4
The Muppets 3
Ella Fitzgerald 3
Fatboy Slim 3
London Philharmonic 3
Michael Jackson 2
The Fugees 2
Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova 2
The Rolling Stones 2
The Beatles had a bunch I considered but none on this top 100.
Curious what you think .. as you can tell I have a varied musical taste that is very influenced by the 80s and the 60s. This is definitely my longest blog post ever.
What are some of your favorites?