My favorite film of the year Super 8 isn’t nominated, and another of my favorites, the Muppets isn’t (which isn’t surprising). Movie I think most deserved from love was Harry Potter 7:2 after being one of the most successful movie franchises of all time.
These are in my order of preference:
1) Hugo ****1/2 My #2 movie of the year. A great homage to moviemaking, and amazing child acting (along with Super 8), wonderful movie.
2) Midnight in Paris ****1/4 … Wonderful dream of a movie, my #3 of the year. Excellent movie on nostalgia.
3) The Artist **** … Uggie gives the best pet acting performance of all time, sad he has to retire from acting. Wonderful silent film, and another movie about movies just like Hugo.
4) The Descendants **** … Excellent acting, wonderful movie about death and dying. Clooney has an excellent chance for best actor.
5. The Tree of Life (Guess 3-4) … The movie I haven’t seen of the 9, I want to see the most. Looks interesting, rich and fascinating.
6. The Help (Guess 3) .. Looks like a nice movie. The biggest hit of the 9.
7. Moneyball *** … Just like “The Social Network” very dissappointing, well made, but left me cold.
8. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (Guess 2 1/2) … Not really sure why this was nominated given that it’s only around 50% on Rotten Tomatoes, this should have been Harry Potter’s spot.
9. War Horse (Guess 2-2 1/2) .. This movie doesn’t really appeal to me at all and had only good reviews, not really sure why nominated. I do love Steven Spielberg, but this and Tintin didn’t really interest me at all.
Rooting for Hugo, think Midnight in Paris should be happy to be nominated. If “The Artist” wins as expected will be one of the best recent Best Picture winners. Best since for me “No Country for Old Men” ****.
Here is a list of all Best Picture winners: